Safety is a leading consideration for all renters from first-year tenants to long-standing Residents. Your apartment is your retreat, a spot where you are able to feel safe and relaxed. Keeping that sense of security is crucial to the well-being of your family or roommates and even your four-legged companions. Developing appropriate safety measures and making a few updates to your home may keep you away from harm. Simply abide by these easy tips for securing your apartment in Carmel.
Always Make Safety A Priority
Your apartment complex already has a range of security features in place to help keep occupants safe and sound, but you have to use them properly! Be certain to shut all entryways behind you, especially if it can only be operated with a passcode or key from a occupant, like an exercise room or pool. If your property uses door buzzer systems or keypad codes to gain entry, only utilize them for your own company. Allowing in someone you don’t know could create a potentially risky situation for you and other Residents!
In respect to your fellow occupants, they play a vital role in securing your apartment in Carmel. Get to know your neighbors and learn who lives in which unit. Having this knowledge helps you identify if any questionable people are hanging around. Your fellow Residents could also be the first people to respond should a situation arise. After all, safety is a team effort!
Devices to Secure Your Apartment in Carmel
Security tools are vital to securing your apartment. Below are some common and practical instruments and how to incorporate them:
- Door locks: Your entry points are made with locks - don’t forget about them! Intruders search for the path of least resistance. Securing your doors and windows at night and prior to leaving is many times enough to discourage the common prowler.
- Slide bar: A sliding door that opens to a back porch is often a likely attack point. Placing a security bar along the track to stop it from opening makes it almost impossible to break into.
- Surveillance: Your community might have security cameras installed to safeguard Residents, but installing your own may be smart. Put them by entryways like your sliding door or overlooking a primary hallway in the unit to keep a vigilant eye.
- Automated lighting: An easy trick for securing your apartment in Carmel is to integrate lighting that will make potential intruders think you’re home. Smart light bulbs that have the ability to be set to illuminate at certain times or controlled with an app on your phone can make it appear like folks are home.
- Window treatments: As elemental as it may appear, minimizing sightlines into your apartment keeps your valuables out of sight and keeps would-be thieves wondering if you’re inside.
Having The Lock Rekeyed Is A Good Idea
Prior to moving in, it’s a good idea to find out if the door has been replaced or rekeyed. Getting updated locks is wise to make sure the prior renter can’t gain access to your new place. If it has not been rekeyed, this is a task the property management should handle for you.
Renters Insurance Is Essential
Even if you follow these ideas on how to secure your apartment in Carmel, tenant insurance is still a must. Your provider will have your back and help you replace stolen or damaged items should something take place. Put your mind at ease with a tenant insurance plan.
Would You Like To Pick Your Next Home In Carmel?
Now that you know how to secure your apartment in Carmel, it’s time to find your new place at Lakeside Apartments. We feature spacious units, attentive staff, and the sought-after amenities you seek. Reach out to or schedule a tour to get started.