Getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been quite a while since you leased one, and now you’re going through the process again. Here are a few tips on how to rent an apartment in Carmel, from figuring out what you can afford to picking the ideal apartment and completing the application.
What Can You Afford?
What you ought to do first is figure out your budget. You wouldn’t want to go crazy about a floor plan only to realize it’s not feasible from a financial standpoint. Consider your income before you tour that terrific two-bedroom with a view of the lake. Here’s some guidance to help you get started.
- Look at your net income - the total you have after taxes - and subtract your present charges (car payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Anticipate unexpected expenses like car repairs and urgent healthcare. In general, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Approximate costs at your new place, such as utilities and groceries. If you need a starting point, designate $250 per month for both.
- How commonly do you go out? Project your dining and entertainment expenses per month.
- What do you have left? This is what you may apply toward rent. This is the right time to determine if you should consider a roommate.
Picking Your Apartment In Carmel
Checking out different communities and floor plans is enjoyable but also demanding of your time. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to search around - at least a couple months. Your opening step is to figure out which area you want to live in. How close do you want to be to your office or school? Are you looking downtown or in outlying areas? Is there entertainment and shopping nearby? Determining an exact location will save you a great deal of time.
You probably have a good idea of the number of bedrooms you’ll require, so you may direct your attention on finding your preferred floor plan. Next, you need to think about what amenities you would like. Is a gym or pool mandatory? Do you require a community that allows animals? Making these decisions will streamline your search.
What To Expect In The Application Process
After you’ve found an apartment, you must finish the application process. You’ll need to be ready with proper identification, proof of income, and some references. You’ll generally be charged an application fee to cover background and credit checks. If you intend to use a co-signer, inform the leasing agent early in the process, as they might not be accepted.
The application process will generally involve the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Fill out an application form
- Prepare for background and credit checks
- Sign the contract
When submitting the application, you can anticipate supplying this information:
- Name, phone number, email, and present address
- Occupation and salary
- Past address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked for past landlords or work and personal references
Locate The Right Apartment At Lakeside Apartments
Renting an apartment in Carmel is easy at Lakeside Apartments. We have a wide range of floor plans and amenities to match your lifestyle. Schedule a tour to discover what we have to offer or reach out to 317-344-8491 to speak with one of our friendly leasing specialists about how to rent one of our apartments in Carmel.